Saturday 20 January 2007

Is it me?


Do West Somerset Railway volunteers do it for themselves or for the good of the Railway? A mild-mannered discussion has gently raged on the WSR Yahoo Group about this question. Some postings explaining the detail of the training programme for Guards. Quite a long process with a bit of testing along the way and a formal examination at the end. Seems fair enough to me.

I have to admit my own training as a Guard was a bit more laid back, but is was over 25 years ago when the approach to training was somewhat different as indeed was the world we lived in. Nevertheless I learned the trade the hard way. Modern trainees learn about shunting in a classroom and then some hands on work. For me, I was just thrown in at the deep end. Shunting during the day, after dark, with just me and a driver (and maybe a fireman) and no other staff for miles.

Nowadays, folks get proper tuitition and quite right too!

Back to the original question. Yes I think volunteers do it for themselves but I also think they do it for the Railway. My mother (78 this year!) volunteers at the local charity shop in the Dorset village in which she lives. She enjoys the social side on the one hand, and feels her time is well spent in support of a worthy cause. And why not.

I suggest WSR volunteers are much the same. It's a chance to do something worthwhile for themselves - it hones old and new skills, it provides an social side, it keeps them feeling part of a community, they meet new people; and they also know that their efforts, big or small, further the cause of the Railway. I also think this applies to armchair supporters, those who cannot get to the Railway to physically help out, who talk about the Railway, publicise the Railway, provide funds and so on.

A mild debate is fine but at the end of it one thing is evident. We each get a buzz from being part of this fine Railway...

No comments: